Isaiah 6:8

Then I heard the Lord asking, "Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?" I said, "Here I am. Send me."

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

God lives outside my comfort zone>

Ive listened to people say that this mission trip will wreck my life and I wasnt realy sure what that meant let alone look like. We boarded a bus at the Lima airport bound for Chilca Peru on what seemed like a day that would never end. From that moment to this, its been an amazing ride. Ive seen buildings that looked like they were falling down and in total ruin only to see a light coming from it and being able to make out the figure of a person who is living in it and the clothes out on a makeshift clothesline. the living conditions that the people of Peru live in would just blow your mind. Reading this blog does not do any of it justice nor will the stories when I get home. In the midst of all the poverty is so much beauty. We went to Pucu Sana Peru and had lunch on Sunday at the mouth of a hole in the side of a hill that water rushed thruogh and into a lagoon. At the top of the hill was the most breath taking view that Ive ever seen of the ocean and the cliffs and waves crashing. Pictures do not do it justice. The sad part is that when you turn around from that awesome view you will find hundreds and hundreds of shacks where these people live, built all over the side of the hills that surround this whole area. Trash litters the ground wherever you go no matter where that is. You would think that the people in this area would be not so friendly, but it was and is just the opposite. We are greeted with smiles and hugs and kisses on the cheek. I have gone to VBS twice now to help bring God to them only to have God show himself to me through them. I thought I would just be standing on the sidelines and just watching butGod has showed me that he is not where I am the most comfortable. God has shown me that he lives just outside my comfort zone. In stepping outside my comfort zone I have met so many people and seen so many things. God showed me what true faith looks like in the family who run Hannahs Home. Lynn, Melissa, Vicky and Aron, sold everything they owened in the states to come here and do what God has led them to do. THAT IS TRUE FAITH. To go to another country and begin to help people get a hand up and help provide a better start to life to children is the most selfless thing ive ever witnessed. WOW!!! There is so much to tell about this trip and how God is working here that my mind is stumbling over itself trying to fit it all in. I feel so blessed to be here and get to see what God is doing for the kids here in Chilca not to mention what he is doing in my life. Thank you God, thank you Gateway , thank you staff here at Hannahs Home and thank you to the team of 35. You have all blessed me beyond words. I cant wait to come back.

Jamie Powell

2 comments:

  1. Jamie!
    How awesome to hear about how GOd is moving in and through you! May you continue to soak up every moment and to allow HIm to push you out of your comfort zone to use you to further His Kingdom! Blessings upon you!
    amyv
    Isaiah 62:10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mister,

    You put into words many of the things I felt when I was there. True beauty is everywhere, regardless of the poverty. Hope you're journaling a ton. I want to hear all of it!
    Praying that God continues to draw you out of your comfort zone and into His will. You're awesome!
    ;) anessa

    ReplyDelete